What is done to children they will do to society – Dr Karl Menninger 1893 - 1990
To make the world safer by breaking damaging, inter-generational family cycles. We do this by developing solutions to the root causes of damage, before it happens - ‘primary’ prevention. Our work in Scotland is gathering momentum hence the opening of the Scottish office is essential to our effective engagement with local communities, MSPs and policy makers. However we are working across all of the 4 UK nations and the below relates to our UK wide impact and work.
How we bring about change
We bring together the best of international scientific understanding of both root causes and solutions. We then use this, in partnership with local leaders and stakeholders to create practical, effective local action plans to break the cycles of childhood abuse and neglect. The specific components of our approach are to:
- Connect the dots between multiple strands of global scientific research into various forms of social dysfunction
- Develop a cohesive overview of the scientific findings about solutions to social problems
- Use this overview to create preventive solutions
- Continuously update our recommendations to reflect new branches of science and unfolding ‘best practice’ solutions
- Disseminate the evolving solutions (in plain English) to families, local and faith leaders, social policy-makers, service delivery practitioners and 3rd sector organisations (via reports, seminars, conferences and meetings)
- Encourage, train and support communities to create individual, detailed action plans for adoption at local level
Our ultimate aim is to create a wave of action that will end abuse of all children, everywhere, period. Our immediate goal is to drive and enable a year-on-year reduction in UK childhood abuse, neglect and living with domestic violence amounting to, at least, 70% by the year 2030.
We call this 70/30.